Funding Advice – Helpful contacts for financial support in care

Taking up the support of care at home can bring about a lot of change. Almost all of that change is positive and works towards relieving some of the stress and pressure put upon yourself. There is however one aspect that can become a concern for many people during the initial stages of arranging home care. Finances.

It can be difficult to talk about money, even with your loved ones, but the reality is that most of us experience financial concerns especially when it comes to care in later life. To help you stay on top of things, we’ve put together a list of some of the best places to find advice and financial assistance when you are thinking about home care.


NHS Continuing Healthcare – If you have more long-term complex needs, you may qualify for free social care arranged and funded by the NHS. This can be a very involved process that takes around 28 days. The initial stages include being assessed by a multidisciplinary team and the criteria can be quite complex. For advice, you can speak to Beacon, an organisation that gives free independent advice about NHS Continuing Healthcare. You can call their free helpline 0345 548 0300 or visit their websiteMore information is also available on the NHS website.

Surrey County Council

The Adult Social Care Service – ‘Paying for Care’ is a very helpful resource produced by Surrey County Council, full of commonly asked questions and advice about whether you may be eligible for help with the costs of care. This booklet also contains information about the financial assessment process. This really is a helpful resource for anyone – whether you have long term physical or complex needs, if you’re recovering from mental ill-health or if you just need some short term assistance getting back on your feet. Check it out here or call 0300 200 1005

Spelthorne Borough Council

Disabled Facilities Grant – If you are in need of some help to fund necessary adaptations to your home or the home of a relative, you can apply for up to £30,000 – providing the recipient is registered disabled. These grants can help with access issues, provision of suitable personal care facilities or adapted controls for power, heat and light.

For further information or to apply, visit the Disabled Facilities Grant website or call 01932 795292

Finding money in assets

Advice from ‘Paying For Care’ – This not-for profit-company provide multiple resources about paying for care. What’s particularly innovative about this site are the money savvy tips that can introduce you to some great ideas to find the necessary funds creatively. There are articles about releasing equity in your home, buying a care annuity as well as paying for your care using pension savings. They also cover a lot of related topics such as Power of Attorney and inheritance taxes. For more information, visit the website.

Organisations and Charities

Help and advice – There are plenty of services out there waiting to give you the help and advice you need. We’ve listed some of the best below:

Age UK

Money Advice Service


Independent Age

Rethink Mental Illness

Finances for care are always a worry but there is no need to feel embarrassed or like you can’t talk about it openly. We are more than happy to help point you in the right direction when it comes to organisations that may be helpful to you.

If you think you can benefit from being supported by one of our Guardian angels, we will do everything we can to find a care plan that suits both your needs and your budget! Get in touch on 01784 611611 or by completing our enquiry form.